Boomtrain Marketing Engine allows you to set the pre-header text that you want your user to see in their email inbox. This is also known as preview text because a recipient of your email can ‘preview’ the first few lines of your email before they even open it. This makes the pre-header text an opportunity to entice the user to read more beyond the subject line of the email.
When a user receives an email, the pre-header text is the first bit of text that appears in the template. If not planned appropriately, this can result in a wasted opportunity of space. No one wants to see a ‘View in browser’ or ‘Forward to a friend’ message in their email preview.
To set the pre-header text, follow these steps:
- Create your email campaign following the regular process.
- If you’re using the advanced editor to create your template, read on. If you’re using your own HTML, skip to the manual solution below.
- Click Templates to open the advanced editor.
- Choose the layout for your template. You’ll be brought to the advanced editor page and a window will pop up, allowing you to name your template and insert the pre-header text.
- Save your template name, then save the template once you’re satisfied with the design. Then, push to your campaign.
- If you already have an email template and want to edit the pre-header text, you can do so from within the menu page of the advanced editor. Just select the ‘Rename’ option to change your template name and/or your pre-header text.
- When you send your email campaign, you’ll see the pre-header text appear.
If you’re importing your email template from another source, you can manually add pre-header text by modifying the HTML.
- Open your email template and view its source code in HTML.
- At the top of the email body, below the </head> and right after <body>, insert this text:
- <div style=”display: none; visibility: hidden; color: #ffffff; font-size: 0px;”>Insert your pre-header text here</div>
- Since the text is set to be invisible, it won’t show up in the actual email, only on the preview window of your email client.
- Be sure to make the text long enough!