Mapping an activity lets you set up the activities you want to track and connect them to users who perform those activities. For example, if you want to see users who viewed a particular page, you can generate a ‘viewed_url’ activity and map it to a particular URL. Here’s how you do it. This can help you understand how customers use your website, and communicate with them based on this usage.
- Go to Activities and choose Activity Mappings tab.
- Edit URL
- Select the URL you want to map, for example: http://example.com/competing-on-customer-journeys/?q=1234
- Strip the “http://” off the front and replace with a “^”, for example: ^example.com/competing-on-customer-journeys/?q=1234
- If there is a parameters at the end of the URL, replace them with $, for example: ^example.com/competing-on-customer-journeys/?$
- Put the URL into the BME Activity Mapping page
- Name the activity under Activity Name section
- Hit Create Button
To test, simply:
- Log-in to your site of choice and navigate to the URL you mapped
- Navigate to Recent Activities in BME. You should see a “viewed” event for your view of the URL you mapped and a separate activity logged for your custom Mapped Activity. As Borat would say, Great Success!