Unsubscribe a Single User Manually
- Login to BME and navigate to Audience section.
- Use the Search box at the top right to search for the user.
- Click on the User ID of the user (usually, the email ID) to navigate to the user’s profile page.
- Click on the ‘Subscribed’ button to Unsubscribe the user.
Navigate to your settings page from the top right hand corner of the dashboard, select Data tools and click on Email Unsubscriber.
Drag and drop or upload the CSV file with the email IDs of the users who need to be unsubscribed. You can also download a sample CSV file to use as a template for your file.
On the right hand side you can see a live update of the progress of unsubscription under the activity feed. Once the unsubscription process is complete, it will show you the result (number of successful/failed unsubscriptions) along with other details like the date and time of unsubscription and the user who initiated the unsubscription process. An email notification will also be sent to you upon completion of bulk unsubscriptions. Note that you can download the report of unsubscription by clicking on the Download option next to individual activity notifications.
Note: The Bulk Unsubscription option is supported only for emails as of now.
Unsubscribe By Updating User Attributes
Many Boomtrain customers incorporate user attributes to segment their lists. This is utilized most frequently with newsletter subscription status. Here’s the setup:
- A newsletter exists called ‘Sample_Newsletter’.
- A user exists with the attribute ‘Sample_Newsletter’ and the value ‘TRUE’.
- This user is actively subscribed to this newsletter and the segment list will always include his email address.
- In order to unsubscribe this user, the attribute ‘Sample_Newsletter’ must be updated to the value of ‘FALSE’.
- Using the above example, upload a CSV of users who want to unsubscribe. You only need two columns: the email address and the newsletter they want to be removed from. If you have multiple newsletters, you can add each one as an additional column.
- Once you’ve uploaded the list, check the profile of one of the unsubscribed users. The value should be FALSE. You can also check the user segment to make sure the email has been removed from the list. Make sure your segment list is dynamically updating based on user attributes!
Unsubscribe By Creating a Segment based on past properties.
- You can filter the users based on `has_active_email = false`
- Once you have this list, create a segment that captures this group.
- You can now use this segment under the ‘exclusions’ option when you are creating campaigns.