When planning your campaign, it’s a good idea to test excessively. Boomtrain’s toolset allow you to create internal user segments for test campaigns, send individual test emails, and even test your email template to make sure it’s ready for both desktop and mobile devices.
Testing Your Template
If you’re using the Boomtrain Advanced Editor, you’ll be able to take advantage of some very powerful testing tools.
- Access the editor by clicking on the menu at the top right hand corner, next to the notification symbol. Click on ‘Template Builder’ and select the email template that you want to test. Select the edit option under Actions and click on Preview to see a rendered version of your template. Toggle between mobile and desktop view to make sure both options are readable, have a good layout, and are still easy to click.
Note: If you’re using dynamic content, you won’t see the fully rendered images and text (that comes later).
- You can also test your email template inside Litmus, a very powerful tool that allows you to see rendered HTML in every major device (iPhones, Android phones, tablets, computers, etc.), in every major browser (Chrome, Safari, Explorer/Edge, Firefox, etc.), and in every major email client (Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, Apple Mail, Air Mail, Inbox, etc.). To get started, click the ‘Test in Litmus’ button in the top right corner of your template builder.
- You’ll then see a wall of displays for every layout mentioned above. Click on the respective images to view a larger version of that particular setup.
- When you’re satisfied with your template, be sure to Save and Push to Campaign.
- Inside the Campaign Editor, you can view a fully rendered version of your email (complete with dynamic content) by clicking the Preview & Test button (NOTE: you must fill out the FROM address and the Subject Line).
- Your email will render in a full desktop view.
- You can change the user to see your dynamic content rendered differently, or if you’re satisfied with the preview, you can send yourself a test message.
Creating Internal Testers
One of the best ways to test your campaigns is sending them to your coworkers who can provide immediate feedback. With user segmentation, you can create a custom internal list to test actual campaigns on without having to send to all of your users.
- If the users that you want to include are not yet in the system, you can upload a CSV file with their email addresses. No need to add any additional attributes, since you’ll only be using this list for testing.
- Once the users are uploaded, you can immediately segment them into their own group. We recommend naming the segment something easily recognizable as not being part of the regular users list.
- You can now create your email campaign. In step two, select the internal segment you created.
Voila! Now you can use this internal list whenever you want to test a new campaign.