Upload Users in BME
Users can be uploaded manually through a csv file in Boomtrain Marketing Engine(BME). The CSV file should be in a format as shown below with email/user_id fields and optional attributes.
Formatting the CSV
Columns with the following header names will be automatically identified.
- email (required): Must be included in order to send communication to the user. Will serve as user_id when that value is not provided.
- user_id (recommended): This is used to identify individual users. If this is not included as user_id column, the email column would be used for both email and user_id. A unique value can also be provided here, preferably an account member ID from your site.
- first_name: This is treated as the first name of the user record and can be used to personalize messages.
- last_name: This is treated as the last name of the user record and can be used to personalize messages.
- state: This field shows the state of the user, for instance,TN.
- city: This field shows the city of the user, for instance, New York.
- signed_up_at: This is treated as the date when user signed up with your business. We recommend YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss format and excel would convert it into below format.
In this example CSV, state and city are optional columns. Any columns that are pertinent to user data could be added. These values can also be utilized to segment the users later.
Uploading the CSV
- Login to BME console and navigate to Audience>Users>Upload.
- Click to upload or drag-and-drop your formatted CSV file.
- The data from the csv file would be detected automatically and it should be verified once. If it looks correct, click ‘Looks good’. If a correction is needed, click ‘ I’ll identify manually’. To scroll right or left to see additional columns, click the arrows.
- You can create a new segment to group your list or add them to an existing one. Segmentation is optional, and we recommend segmenting users based on dynamic filters instead of segmenting here. Choose ‘Continue without creating or updating a segment’ and click ‘Next’.
- The upload begins. The count of new users and updated users would be displayed. When the progress bar reaches 100%, click ‘Take me to the app’ to view your uploaded users. You can also upload an additional file.