One of the primary focus areas of Boomtrain is to provide intuitive personalization solutions for you and your users. This relationship should be perceived as one to one, not one to many. Keeping that in mind, we offer several options when it comes to segmenting your users into specific buckets. The two primary kinds of segments are:
Lists are static. i.e., you create them once based on specific criteria and they stay the same.
1. December 2016 Christmas Mailing List
2. Office Email Test Group
Segments on the other hand are dynamic. They are user lists that stay updated according to the criteria that you specify. This means that any user who exhibits a certain kind of behavior will be automatically added to the segment, and will be removed if they stop exhibiting that behavior.Examples:
1. Signed up in the last 30 days.
2. High Value Customers (anyone who purchases over a certain limit gets added)
How can I create a query to filter my audience and save the results as a segment?
- Log in to your account and navigate to the Audience section. Click on the filter button and choose how you want to segment your audience.
- If filtering by User Properties, you can select any attribute that you’re currently tracking, including dates. If you want to create a segment based on a newsletter name, you can do it here. In the image below, you can see List1 and List2. These might be newsletters that users can be subscribed to. If the value for this user attribute is TRUE, they will be added to the segment. If it’s FALSE, they’ll be excluded or removed.
- The operator can be selected as well. If the user attribute is a string, the options listed below will appear.
- If the user attribute is a date, the operator drop-down menu will change accordingly.
- When completed, the filter will look like something close to a plain sentence.
- If you want to add additional filters, click the ‘Add a filter’ button. This will create an AND filter, meaning only users who meet both requirements will be included in the segment.
- You can also choose to segment based on User Activities.
- Whether the activity is standard or a custom activity that you’ve defined, you can segment off of it.
- You can also choose to segment based on past activities related to specific messages.
How do I export a user list with segment information?
- If you’re satisfied with the results, you can choose to Export to a CSV (which will be emailed to you). You can also save it as a list or as a segment. A list is a static group that you can keep using when you compose messages and a segment is a self-updating dynamic group that adds users if and when they exhibit the criteria in your search.
- Name your list or segment. If you have created a segment, any future user who meets the requirements of the segment will automatically be placed in it. Conversely, any user who no longer meets the requirements will be removed from the segment. This is especially important when users subscribe or unsubscribe to a particular newsletter.
- You can also export a filtered list by clicking on the ‘Export’ option under the Save options.