Boomtrain’s primary focus is to provide personalization solutions for you and your users. The relationship should be perceived as one to one, not one to many. To that end, we offer several options when it comes to segmenting your users into specific buckets. The two primary kinds of segments are
- ListsExamples of static lists could be
1. December 2016 Christmas Mailing List
2. Office Email Test Group
- SegmentsSegments are user lists that stay updated according to criteria you have specified. This means that any user who exhibits a certain kind of behavior will be automatically added to the segment, and will be removed if they stop exhibiting that behavior.
1. Signed up in the last 30 days.
2. High Value Customers (anyone who purchases over a certain limit gets added)
How can I create a query to filter my audience and save the results as a segment?
- In your account on Boomtrain.net, click on Audience → Users subdivision and then the Filter button.
- The Filter menu appears, allowing you to choose the method of segmentation.
- If filtering by User Properties, you can select any attribute that you’re currently tracking, including dates. If you want to create a segment based on a newsletter name, you would do it here. In the image below, you can see List1 and List2. These might be newsletters that users can be subscribed to. If the value for this user attribute is TRUE, they will be added to the segment. If it’s FALSE, they’ll be excluded or removed.
- The operator can be selected as well. If the user attribute is a string, the options listed below will appear.
- If the user attribute is a date, the operator drop-down menu will change accordingly.
- When completed, the filter will look like something close to a plain sentence.
- If you want to add additional filters, you can click the symbol. This will create an AND filter, meaning only users who meet both requirements will be included in the segment.
- You can also reset or remove any filter by clicking the symbol.
- You can also choose to segment based on User Activities.
- Whether the activity is standard or a custom activity that you’ve defined, you can segment off of it.
- You can also choose to segment based on past activities related to specific messages.
- If a user interacted with any of your previous message, you can segment them into a new list.
- Select the message that you want to filter from.
- When you’ve finished setting up the filter, click Search to display the results.
How do I export a user list with segment information?
- If you’re satisfied with the results, you can choose to Export to a CSV (which will be emailed to you), compose a message with this segment as the recipient list, save as list or save as segment. A list is a static group that you can keep using when you compose messages and a segment is a self-updating group that adds users if they exhibit the criteria in your search.
- Name your list or segment. If you have created a segment, any future user who meets the requirements of the segment will automatically be placed in it. Conversely, any user who no longer meets the requirements will be removed from the segment. This is especially important when users subscribe or unsubscribe to a particular newsletter.
- You can also export a filtered list by clicking on the ‘Export’ option under the Save options.