Getting personal with your customer and anonymous visitors on your website or app is easy with the Boomtrain Messenger. It takes under 5 minutes to set it up.
In-app messaging allows for direct and personal customer communication. There are subtle and small ways to be personable to your customers and anonymous visitors on the in-app messaging platform.
- Go to Settings
- Update your profile under ‘Profile’
- Add your display name (usually your first name) and a photo of yourself.
- Go to Settings > Setup
- Click the ‘Invite’ button to add team members
You can invite unlimited team members to help you with customer communication and customer support. Encourage them to update their profiles with photos and display names.
[Note: You can invite unlimited team members both from Settings > Setup AND Settings > Team]
Customizing The Messenger Widget
Go to Settings > Messenger > Languages and Appearance
Once you set up your personal profile and add your team members, customize your in-app messenger widget colour and the welcome message that appears on your website or mobile app.
To customize the colour, add the hex code or choose a custom colour from the colour picker and click on ‘Save’.
Pro Tip: Choose a colour that will contrast from your website or mobile app.
To customize your welcome message, just enter a title and message and click on ‘Save’.
Your welcome message could contain the following:
- A link with a call to action (feature coming soon)
- A friendly note that encourages customers and anonymous visitors to talk to you via the in-app messenger
- An informative message to help customers and anonymous visitors understand more about your business
- A status update on your product / service such as emergency downtimes
A promo code that customers and anonymous visitors can apply for a certain duration.
- A message asking customers and anonymous visitors to leave their email ID so you can get in touch with them – works well for acquiring customers!
Choosing a Language for the Messenger
You can choose a language for your team to communicate on messenger, especially if most of the visitors on your site don’t speak English. This is a good way to make them feel welcome and at home.
To change the language, go to Settings → Messenger → Languages and Appearance.
You can choose the language of your choice and also enter the welcome message in this language. All the basic messenger/inbox text will now be in the language you choose.
Visibility for Messenger
You can decide whether you want the Messenger to be shown to anyone who visits your website, or only to customers who have signed in to your website. This way you can curate the customer experience with the messenger better and target these messages better.
To change Visibility go to Settings > Messenger > Visibility
Activating Offline and Web Push Notifications [5 seconds]
- Go to Settings > Notifications
- Toggle to say ‘On’ for offline email notifications
- Toggle to say ‘On’ for web push notifications
This feature helps you get instant offline email notifications for missed messages from customers and anonymous visitors.
Pro Tip: When you get an instant offline email notification, you can respond to that customer or anonymous visitor by simply ‘replying’ from the email
Customer & Visitor Interactions
When you log in to the Boomtrain app, click on ‘Inbox’ on the left navigation panel to manage incoming customer communication. Manage conversations accordingly by assigning, resolving or adding tags as notes. As in real life, there is no way to delete conversations as they are not treated as ‘tickets’ that need to be closed or deleted. Here’s what you see in Messenger:
There are 3 main tabs above the conversation window:
- Open – shows all incoming conversations that your team has. The ones in bold are new and have not been responded to so your customer support team should prioritize and look into those
- Me – shows all the conversations that you have assigned to yourself or the ones that your team members may have assigned to you.
- Other Filters – shows conversations that are assigned to your team members and the ones that have been resolved
When an incoming message comes to Messenger, you will hear a sound notification if you are on the Inbox tab.
Know Your Customer & Answer Contextually
Whatever your customer acquisition strategy, a recommended way to start a conversation is when you have enough information on your customer – be it their recent activity on your website or app or their attributes / properties such as location, their past order history, how long they have been your customer etc.
Boomtrain’s in-app messaging platform gives you access to rich customer & anonymous visitor profiles that you can use to understand where they stand in your customer life cycle.
In the above snapshot, you can see that the customer is an ‘Active’ customer, who is ‘Ready to upgrade’, has used certain ‘key features’ of a product, receives weekly communication from the business and is a highly ‘engaged’ user. If this was your customer, you now have enough information to know that he or she is further along your customer life cycle. This is a customer who values your business and can easily be turned into a brand ambassador.
Ensure you quickly skim through any previous conversation history, especially when you have not handled a particular customer before or have just been ‘assigned’ one by another team members. It will save both, the customer and you a lot of time in the long run. Watch that NPS score hit the roof!