Manually uploading users on Boomtrain Marketing Engine (BME) is a simple process. It allows you to add users individually or in bulk.
UPLOADING INDIVIDUAL USERS
From the BME Dashboard, navigate to Users > Add Users > Add Users Manually.
UPLOADING USERS IN BULK
BME allows you to upload users in bulk through CSV files. We recommend that you format the CSV file like this:
Columns with the following header names will be automatically identified. You may notice that your own headers get renamed to these default values (e.g. email_address becomes email). Other header names will be uploaded as additional user data:
- email (required): Must be included in order to send communication to the user. Will serve as user_id when that value is not provided.
- user_id (recommended): This is used to identify individual users. If you don’t include a user_id column, the email column will be used for both email and user_id. You can also use a unique value here, preferably an account member ID from your site.
- first_name: This is treated as the first name of the user record and can be used to personalize messages.
- last_name: This is treated as the last name of the user record and can be used to personalize messages.
- phone: This is treated as phone number of the user record and is used for all communications intended on SMS channel. We strongly recommend E.164 number formatting: [+][country code][subscriber number including area code].
- signed_up_at: This is treated as the date when user signed up with your business. We recommend YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss format.
In this example CSV, gender and location are optional columns. You can add any columns that are pertinent to your user data. These values can also be utilized to segment your users later.
|firstname.lastname@example.org||John||Doe||2015-05-31 22:34:00||Male||New York|
|email@example.com||Jane||Doe||2015-03-25 13:10:00||Female||Los Angeles|
In this case, the email column will automatically be recognized as both email address and user ID by the BME uploader tool.
Save your CSV file as MS-DOS comma separated (.csv). This ensures BME will recognize your file properly, regardless of what browser you use.
Uploading the CSV
- From the BME Dashboard, navigate to Users > Add Users > Import from CSV file.
- Click to upload or drag-and-drop your formatted CSV file.
- You must now map and verify the data that is automatically detected. If it looks correct, click ‘Looks good’. If a correction is needed, click ‘I’ll identify manually’. To scroll right or left to see additional columns, click the arrows.
- You can create a new segment to group your list or add them to an existing one. Segmentation is optional, and we recommend segmenting users based on dynamic filters instead of segmenting here. Choose ‘Continue without creating or updating a segment’ and click ‘Next’.
- The upload begins. You can see the count of new users and updated users increase as indicated by a progress bar.