When a new user signs up for your newsletter, blog, or site, a common way to let them know that the sign-up was successful (and to make them feel welcomed) is to send them a welcome email. This is a one-time email that can give the user information about your site, invite them to update their profile, allow them to share your site with others, etc. The possibilities are endless. Of course, writing an email for every single user who signs up can be taxing, so we’ve come up with a way to automate the process.
This guide will walk you through the steps needed to create a Triggered Welcome email using the ZetaHub.
ZetaHub allows you to define ‘activities’ that you expect your users to do on your site. An activity can be anything and usually depends on the requirements of different businesses.
For instance – ‘Viewed’ is a very common activity pertaining to your users visiting your web pages. Some of the other events can include ‘Shared’, ‘Purchased’, ‘Clicked’, etc. The event we’re looking for in this case, is ‘Signed Up’ or something similar.
- Log in to ZetaHub and select Activities from the left hand panel:
- By default, you’ll be brought to the ‘Recent Activities’ page. Click on ‘Tracked Activities’ for a list of all the user activities that your dashboard is tracking..
- You’ll be shown a list of all Activities currently being sent to ZetaHub from your site.
(Note: Your events list may look different.)
- In this example, the ‘started_membership’ is the activity that we’re looking for. Now that we know what the activity’s name is, we can head to Campaigns.
- You have two options for the type of message you want to send: Triggered or Broadcast. Broadcast emails will send to a pre-determined list of users at a time that you specify. Triggered emails occur when a activity or behavioral requirement — specified by you — is met. Usually, Triggered emails will send a receipt to a user after they’ve confirmed a purchase. You might get a triggered email when you unsubscribe from a newsletter. Or, you might get one when you sign up, which is exactly what we want it for. Choose ‘Triggered’ Email.
- We’re creating a brand new Campaign, so click ‘Compose Message’.
- We’re met with several options here. First, we’ll want to make sure the Triggered Email is activating based on an Activity.
- We need to choose our Activity, in this case ‘startedmembership’. Your event might be different.
- We want this to affect all users who sign up, but you can choose whatever segment you want.
- From here, you can follow the basic steps to create your email campaign. Add the Subject Line:
- Be sure to try the ‘Attributes’ dropdown menu. You can personalize your Subject Line with the user’s first name, their city, or perhaps mention the particular newsletter segment that they’ve signed up for.
- Now it’s time to design your email template. You can import your own template or create one from scratch using the ZetaHubAdvanced Editor. Just click the ‘Templates’ button to get started.
- Once you’re satisfied with the design, click ‘Activate’ in the bottom right corner.
You’re all set! The next time a user signs up, they’ll immediately receive a welcome email from you. You’ve added a touch of personalization to your email campaigns and barely had to do any work!